Salkantay To Machupicchu 5 Days / 4 Nights
You cross a pass at 4510m and then you will start a relaxing walking down. You pass some remote villages, have fabulous views at for example Veronica, Salkantay, other snow peaks, green valleys and the Urubamba river, maybe you will have the opportunity to see condors and surely you´ll meet very friendly people.
Day 01: Cusco / Mollepata / Soraypampa
Early in the morning we will pick you up from your hotel and transfer you in a private bus to Mollepata passing picturesque and traditional towns like Iscuchaca , Ancahuasi and Limatambo, as well as the highland plateau and landscapes with great views of snowcapped mountains that belong to the Vilcabamba mountain range. The bus trip will last 3.00 hours and then you will start a hike for 6 hours. The trail climbs up from Mollepata sharply to Marqhok'asa pass through the pastures, farming lands, afterwards descending until the campsite through the high brush down to Soraypampa (3750 masl).
Day 02: Soraypampa to Huayrajmachay
Early in the morning you leave Soraypampa and keep going up the beautiful valley walking just below the majestic snowcapped mountain named Salkantay (6271 masl) after 1:1/2 hours the trek becomes steep zigzagging for a while after that we get the pass named Salkantay ,located at 4600 m.a.s.l. from where you will be rewarded with superb views . The trail descends through an old moraine, passing great pastures down to the camp of Huayraqmachay located at 4000masl. This campsite is subject to change according to the guide's criteria and the evolution of the group.
Day 03: Huayrajmachay / Playa
Wake up with lovely mountain scenery and a good morning tea. Continue to the north down to the lush jungle through different ecosystems watching birdlife like hummingbirds, trashes, finches, tanagers, sparrows, guans, parrots, etc It will be a long descending day towards the cloud forest where people live taking advantages of nature, also you will pass great waterfalls. At the end of the day we will see passion fruit fields. The hike will last approximately 9 hours; the campsite is at the community named "La Playa "(2400 m.a.s.l).
Day 04: Playa / Aguas Calientes
Leaving la playa the trek continues through plantations of coffee, banana, and tropical fruits. Afterwards the trail climbs up to Patallacta from where you descend until Hidroelectrica ( 1800 m.a.s.l) and continue to Aguas Calientes where we will set up a camp just below Machupicchu Inca sanctuary , this afternoon you can go to have a bath in the natural hot springs a great place to relax after this challenging trek.
Day 05: Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu / Cusco
Early in the morning we take a bus up to Machupicchu with our expert guide to explore in a full day this Inca enigmatic treasure. In the afternoon we take the train back to Cusco and you will be transfered to your hotel.
- Transfer by bus to Mollepata, the starting point of the trek.
- English / spanish speaking professional guide.
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts/ 4 Lunches/ 3 Dinners & snacks.
- Cook and cooking equipment.
- Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- 1 emergency horse.
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Round trip bus ticket to visit the complex.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- Train ticket (Backpacker service) from Aguas Calientes to Cusco or Ollantaytambo
- Transfer: Ollantaytambo station – hotel
- Tents: 2 people in each 3-people-capacity tents, to allow more comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks.
- 01 Mattress per person
- Dinner tent
- Toilet tent
- Kitchen tent
- Tables & seats
- Table set
- First aid kit ( basic) including emergency oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Lunch and dinner on the last day: after the guided tour in Machupicchu, you can enjoy free time for a visit to the ruins and choose to have lunch either in Machupicchu or in Aguas Calientes at your own expense. Arrival in Cusco is estimated around 9.00 pm, dinner is at your own expense too.
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes: a relaxing way to end-up the 4-day trek while you are awaiting the return train to Cusco, only 10 minutes from the village center, entrance fee is US$ 1,50. Towels can be hired in Aguas Calientes.
- Sleeping Bag
What you need to bring and carry
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Trekking shoes or hiking boots.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleece and sweaters.
- Flash Light
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries are consumed faster under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Toilet paper
- Small tonel
- Swimsuit (if you intend to go to the hot springs)
- Passports in original, not copy.
- An extra hotel night in Aguas Calientes can be booked for you at an additional cost depending on your choice.
- An extra horse to carry your additional personal items can be arranged (above the included 9kg) days 1 to 5: US$ 70.00. A horse can carry up to 20 kg.
- Sleeping Bag : Cost USD$ 25.00 / 5 day